Wednesday, December 06, 2006

What's up with that?

To swipe or not to swipe?

I hear a vent on the radio, today, that I totally agree with. There has been a trend that I have also noticed lately, when I purchase something with my debit or credit card, which I always do (because, hey, it just makes it so much more fun for someone to be able to spy on where I have been when and how much I sent.. but that's another post altogether). Anyhow, the vent that I heard on the radio totally made sense to me and I figured I should share it, here.

First off, why does there have to be such a difference between debit machines from store to store? Why can't there just be one universal model that doesn't charge from fifteen banks per transaction thereby bringing your 2 dollar item to $15.28? One model that always has the buttons for checking and savings in the same place and OK/Cancel/Correct in the same place, too? It happens often that I have to restart my transaction because I pushed the wrong account or I forgotwhose card I'm carrying and I remember part way through the PIN, then I accidentally hit "cancel" instead of "correct." And yes it's okay that you are going to charge me a 25 cent transaction fee, but you didn't tell me that my bank is going to charge 118% on top of the full transaction cots... Yes. I am aware that I am a teller's nightmare!

Then, why did tellers (I mean no disrespect, here) stop swiping my card for me? Is it a time thing? Is it supposed to be faster, because let me tell you... is isn't! I mean.. read this post... I can never figure out which way the stripe is suuposed to face because it always seems to be different (or do I just remember it wrong) and then it never works because I swipe it once... Oh wrong way.
Then I try again... Oh you need to go slower than that.
I swipe again more slowly... Oh, not quite slow enough yet.
I swipe again very slowly... The transaction times out. Umm.. a little faster, it needs to be able to actually read your card.
Right... can you just do it for me?
Thanks.

I seem to be totally inept at swiping my stinkin' card!

Is it a security thing.. I can show you my ID. Ohhh kids can carry debit card and have no ID... Does that mean that if the card was stolen and you swipe it then you are partially to blame?

I tell you, it's frustrating because it's not like I am always in a hurry but I get flustered pretty easily and after I've swiped three times and had to restart a couple times, I might just forget my PIN if I even remember what it is in the first place.

Maybe, I should just carry cash... what's that?

4 Comments:

At 4:44 a.m. , Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

I never have to pay extra for using my debit or credit cards, even when getting cash. I don't use ATMs, I ask for cash back when I use the debit card at the grocery store. I wonder if this is a local "priviledge?"

I agree that the machines should be universal. Come on, make us consumer's lives a little simpler.

 
At 6:35 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why people use debit cards when there are perfectly good credit cards that work just the same - AND they don't charge you anything for using them? Also, the cashier does the swiping for you because there are no PINS to enter AND you don't have to take the money out of your account until after you get the bill - so there's no possibility of running out of money in a particular account. When you go to pay your bill, you just transfer money into your account to cover it.
It just makes more sense to me! Am I missing something about debit cards that makes them attractive?

 
At 6:58 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how your write. I feel like I'm right there and going through the same thing. Which I have. Maybe the tellers are just letting us get out of our learned helplessness when it comes to our debit card. : > )

 
At 7:28 p.m. , Blogger Mama's Moon said...

I'm having The. Best. chuckle over here because I have soooo been there. But, I think you're right! Something's always different and, for crying out loud, that's what makes for all the errors those dang cashiers are witness to all day! My mom's the worst - it gets so bad for her that she just hands me her card and walks away from it all. Of course, I have to call her back bc she has to tell me her pin and so on. In the end, I feel like the friggin' interpreter! One swipey-device thingey! Let's hear it, altogether now!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home