The tooth story
So, I'm not your average teacher, I guess. The story goes something like this. All in French, though.
Student comes up to me in gym class.
Madame, I can't play. My tooth hurts.
Me
Oh that's too bad. It's loose, eh? Well, I need you to focus on something else.
Student
Okay, I'll try.
Me (inner dialogue)
Wow, Impressive. He agreed to that.
Student continues to play with the class, showing no signs of pain.
Later on, in the classroom, student returns mouth agape, tongue furiously wiggling poor tooth.
Madame. I have a headache. My tooth hurts.
Me
Go get a drink of water, and put your head down for a minute if you need to. (Water fixes everything. My Mom taught me well.)
Student
Okay
Me (inner)
Man, this kid is terrific (I already knew this).
Later still student return fiercely wiggling tooth.
Madame
Me
Just pull it out
I can't. It hurts.
Go to your desk, it will be okay. (Obviously I am trying to work with a stressful group, they aren't bad, just demanding. Unfortunately I wasn't very sympathetic to his plight.)
Okay
Math time, I'm walking through the desks checking kids' work.
Me, noticing hand in mouth wiggling tooth.
So, can you pull it?
No
Want me to?
Okay.
Really?
Sure.
Sweet. Are you sure?
Yep.
You aren't going to be mad at me after?
No.
You aren't going to go home crying that Madame hurt you?
No.
You're really sure?
Yes.
Really Really?
Yes.
Okay, gimme that kleenex.
He hands it over, neatly folded. I place my finger tightly on the tooth, trying to get the root. Student stares at me with shock.
Yank #1 slipped off the tooth.
Oops. Slipped. I didn't hurt you did I?
Nope.
Okay, let's try again.
Student opens mouth a little wider.
Yank #2.. out she comes. She was a real beauty, too.
Student stares at me, sticks his tongue into the hole, now bloody. Smiles at me, kinda...
Whoa. Shoves Kleenex into the hole.
You aren't mad at me are you?
No. Thanks Madame.
At lunch his grade 1 teacher comes up to me. So, Student says you pulled out his tooth. He and his three friends think that it's the coolest thing ever. Oops, hope I don't get in trouble.
After school, he runs into the hallway.
Mom, I lost my tooth today.
Mom: Oh good, when did you lose it?
Oh, Madame pulled it out.
Me (inner) oh crap, here it comes...
She actually said thanks because she was unable to do it herself (I guess not everyone likes sticking their fingers in someone else's mouth to yank teeth? I sure do. Plus I've had lot of practice on my siblings (hehe). And don't worry. I washed my hands.

5 Comments:
Haahaaha! That's hilarious, and one of the reasons I'm SO glad I'm not a teacher!!
Gutsy -- that's all there is to it!
Too funny!
I love your inner thoughts!
Look out Hunter!
Very brave of you to pull out his tooth. I know I couldn't do it.
You're funny. What a good kid! I don't think I could do it either. My stomach hurts just thinking about possibly hurting someone on purpose...I do enough of that without even knowing I'm doing it.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home