I admit, I was quite embarassed
Warning: This post refers to the pectorally located ladyparts and their "containers", which will furthermore be referred to as the "ladies" and the "Support System For Pectoral Lady Parts" (SSfPLP).
Let me first say that I need to admit something. I have always heard stories of the "changes" that occur with a body after baby and nursing, but kind of laughed them off with a nervous laughter because, of course that kind of thing will never happen to me?!
This summer, I was still nursing Hunter. This summer, I went to a number of weddings. This summer I had a nice new black dress which I could, conveniently, pull to one side to allow access for my young pup. This summer, I needed a new SSfPLP because the white one I used, just wouldn't do with the dress. This summer I was unsure of the situation that would follow the "weaning" and so instead of purchasing a number of SSfPLPs for a ridiculous sum, I would just purchase one that would suit just fine and go with the black dress. Post-weaning, I did not purchase any others because I (ahem) refuse to believe that this (ahem) situation (ahem) is permanent. So, thus, I had only one decent, non-sport SSfPLP. Fine, no problem. I looked after it well (or so I thought).
I was driving home from Christmas dinner (a good four months post-purchase)when I first felt it. Some kind of familiarly-unfamiliar leaking sensation on the lower right. It would appear that my SSfPLP had some sort of an oily gel substance to assist with the (ahem) outward appearance (cough) that decided to... uhhh... leave its contained state. So, the SSfPLP is clearly no longer wearable, despite my attempts leading to the staining of a perfectly good shirt.
Yesterday, I went out with a friend to try on a bridesmaid outfit. Yahoo!! Well, knowing that my black SSfPLP was unwearable due to potential further stainage, I pulled out pretty much the only other one that I have the white-stretched-out-worn-nearly-every-day-for-over-a-year nursing one.
Stop. right there. Okay, call me an idiot. Get it over with. I, clearly, did NOT think about it. Okay. done? Thanks. I feel better. Now, let's move on.
So, my dear friend pulls out the top and asks me to try it on so she can see what it looks like. I emphasize that I hope and pray that the "situation" is different with the "ladies" come summer... I put it on. It's gorgeous. I love it. It's cool comfy and all that. However, the problem lies in the fact that I, the idiot, is wearing "the white-stretched-out-worn-nearly-every-day-for-over-a-year nursing" SSfPLP! What was I thinking? Idiot. So, there in clear daylight you have the clips, which are not useful in my current state, nor are they in the least bit attractive (let's face it, they never were... except for Hunter) and to be honest, there is some... uhhh.... extra. fabric. evidently wanting to say "hello". Mortal embarassment? No, not quite. But I did feel the need to clearly point it out to all ladies present in the changeroom just so that they can see what a cheap shmuck I am and laugh, in case they hadn't already noticed. Yes, I use humour as a defense mechanism, okay? I like it! I'm just glad that, at least, I had the kid with me... as further evidence (to the fact that I have lost a few brain cells)!
Again, I need to say that of course, that kind of thing.. you know the "southward migration" of the "ladies" would never happen to me! The "wind-sock-ish-ness"? But, hey, ladies... it's not permanent, right?!! Please tell me it's not!
Well, all said and done there, I headed over to the store where you buy these SSfPLP things because we just all evidenced that I do need another one. They're on sale. Great! So, I proceed to try on about ten and purchase... one. ONE! Because I only need one? Because I only want one? Because I'm too cheap to spend another $9.61 on an SSfPLP because, please tell me, it's not permanent! And just so you know, I bought one with some room to "grow".
Just. in. case.

8 Comments:
Unfortunatly we are both members of the saggy bags club. Gone are the days of perky.. BOO HOO!!! Thanks for a good laugh.
Great post. You made me giggle.
You look fantastic in the top. I am so excited that #1 you like what I picked, #2 you look so great in it and #3 it will work for you at my wedding. My goal: simple, comfy and could wear again; goal achieved.
By the way thanks again for the wonderful hospitality the last two days. We always have such a great time with you, Justin and Hunter. We loved spending the time at Wildlights and now we have 2 more games to add to our "buy list".
Wynter (and Chris...and Storm who has not put down his night vision goggles since we left your place by the way)
Ah Liz. I love your humour. But as a non-mother but one-day-hope-to-be-one, I know it won't happen to me... RIGHT? RIGHT? Oh darn.
Angela
I had a very similar embarrassment. When shopping for an outfit for 4 spring events, prior to weaning - my very cool, stylish, pre-maternal friend studied the outfit I had on in the change room. After some hmm-ing she bluntly asked if I had a SSfLPP that would do a better job. Nearly cried. And I couldn't wear any of the cute (& perky) dresses she pulled off the rack as she kept forgetting the need to accomodate my "situation". Sigh. This time around, I bought about 10 sports bras and keep the pricey SSflPP in the drawer for Sunday. I'm serious. And sadly, here in my humble little town of NO-SHOPPING-OPTIONS, I'm currently browsing the new Sears catalogue for my underthings. Sigh again.
PS: I'm the Rachel Joy referred to by Rachel Anne. I only signed my name like that on her blog because, well, I don't know. But it's me.
Too funny!
Bra shopping is such a pain, I always end up trying on so many and only manage to find one that I like.
I to would like to think that the "ladies" will be the same after nursing, but the wont... oh well...
I'm nursing baby #2, hopefully for another month, and am pitifully toting around saggy bags. Hate to see what I look like after I'm done nursing. Yikes. I plan to spend some serious money to find nice fitting, comfortable, sexy, perk-me-up, gravity defying bras. Worth it I say! And yes, I too am usually very cheap when it comes to buying clothes.
Sigh. Mine have gotten worse after each weaning. I shudder to think of what they'll be like when Emily's done...
:)
Hee hee, windsockishness! I love it. Can't vouch for the permanancy or not because I'm right there with ya!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home